Beware The Curling Iron
I was using my curling iron a couple of days ago and it slipped from my hand. It landed on my face, right next to my right eye. Without a doubt, it hurt like you-know-what and I now have a red mark running down my face next to my eye. I’m really lucky it didn’t touch my eye. This made me wonder how many people are injured by their curling irons. So guess who I asked.
I found a lot of information on curling iron injuries on Google. It was interesting to see how many children are hurt by grabbing the iron part while it is hot. (56%). In an older group 60% of injuries were burns to the cornea.
Curling Irons have been around for over 100 years: The problem is that many of us use them everyday and become casual about the use. Most injuries occur when curling or straightening bangs or the small hairs on the back of the neck. What are the dangers of curling irons?
Burns: Curling irons have been made to be much hotter than they used to. Women don’t want to take more time than necessary which demands a higher heat. The irons can easily slip from your hand especially the larger sizes that are harder to maneuver.
Corneal Burns can lead to loss of vision depending on the severity and location of the burn. Rapid treatment at an emergency facility is needed.
Fires: I once had a curling iron explode at the plug and start smoking. So, yes, there is a danger of fires if you’re not in the room when it happens. Now I always remove it from the outlet as soon as I’m done.
Electrocution: A sink full of water or water running when you’re using it is not good. Any kind of distraction can cause a disaster.
Non-emergency burns can be treated at home by placing ice on the burn (which is what I did). Then moisturize with a gentle moisturizer. Aloe works well.
Meantime, I have a brownish red mark on my face next to my eye.
Re/Max Sunset Realty